Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Judgment

I have a really hard time speaking to someone without judging them or trying to fit them into a certain category. I tend to do so once I meet someone for the very first try. I guess you can say that I do “Judge a book by its cover” and it’s a very bad habit that I have. I can’t help doing so, because I am so quick to judge from the first glance or impression of someone. I think without truly knowing someone it’s much easier to judge them for my sense of comfort. I agree with chapter 3 when it states that “We often use schemata to form impressions of other people and to interpret their massages. I use person protypes, I tend to have a certain image of certain people and if I think of one person in a certain category one way, I tend to look at everyone in that same light. I think that I let retype affect the way I look at someone. There are certain people that are not very bright, therefore I do not value what they say (it comes through one ear and goes out the other). On the other hand I have people that I look at to be very intelligent, therefore I really listen to what they have to say.

I think a way to make our judgment of others more fairly, we must first be aware that we are even making assumptions of that person. I think by being broader in our thoughts and not so narrow minded will help us with this. Just because we see certain this way doesn’t make everyone in that category the same way. We need to remember that no one person is alike and that we need to treat everyone as an individual not matter where they come from. Stopping the judgment and getting to know the person will make a big difference.

No comments: