Friday, October 10, 2008

Useful/Interesting Fact

As I was reading chapter 5, what caught my eye was the section on Physical Appearance and Object Language. I agree with what is stated in the book “Whether or not we realize it, our design efforts matter. Personal appearance affects the way others act toward us, as well as how we feel about ourselves”.

I truly agree with this statement, and the best example that I can give when I was shopping at Santana Row. I didn’t plan on doing any shopping their, but I thought I would stop and look for a purse. I wasn’t dressed very well, I was wearing a sweat suit with some tennis shoes, needless to say this is the typical attire of the people that you see their. As I walked into the Gucci store I got several stares from the employees as well as the security guard at the front of the store. At first I didn’t really notice it but as I began to look around I started to notice they were looking at me as if thinking, what the heck is she wearing??? I noticed one of the employees none saliently following me where ever I moved around in the store, which I felt was discriminating. I also couldn’t get the full attention of a sales person, which I didn’t feel was right, so I walked out of the store even after my intention was to purchase something that day.

As with the body type of a person I find it to be mean and hurtful when someone is ridiculed just because they don’t have a model figure. I found it very interesting when they said that researchers classify people according to how closely they approximate three extremes. But sadly it still exist today, you don’t see short stubby models on the run way you only see tall and slender women. I don’t think that this is a very good show for our younger impressionable generation.

No comments: